If we're not willing to settle for junk living, we certainly shouldn't settle for junk food. ~Sally Edwards

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes

Since I've been on a "Dairy Free Diet" my potato consumption has taken a sharp fall, until now! I must admit I was a bit discouraged by other blogs use of a hard to find soy "butter" to make their potatoes.

Ingredients:
4 large red potatoes (peeled if desired) cut into 1/2" to 1" chunks
cooled grease from 4+ slices of thick bacon
1/4 - 1/2 cup Almond milk, unflavored 
salt to taste
white pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Boil potatoes until just soft. Drain and rinse with cold water. Allow to fully cool. 
2. Mash potatoes with potato masher or fork. 
3. Mix in bacon grease and slowly add almond milk until smooth.
4. Season appropriately with salt and pepper and additional ingredients as fit.
5. Heat slowly while mixing to get back warmth.

Overview:
First I must confess I am not a mashed potato pro, however these turned out surprisingly well. The idea of using bacon grease occurred to me as a possible "solid fat" alternative to butter, however this automatically makes this recipe useless for those seeking a vegetarian version. The bacon grease helps with the flavor and the almond milk goes unnoticed. Success? I think so. 

Additional ideas: 
1. Adding additional herbs such as dill or garlic will also help in making your dairy free potatoes awesome.
2. The bacon in which you got the bacon grease...add it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment